Personal statements may be used to customize the application to a specific program or to different specialties.
- Creating the Personal Statement
- Formatting the Personal Statement
- Previewing the Personal Statement
- Reviewing/Editing the Personal Statement
- Assigning the Personal Statement
You create your own personal statements in the MyERAS portal from the Personal Statements section listed under Documents.
- Each personal statement must contain a Personal Statement Title and the Personal Statement Content. The title will be visible only to you to help you correctly assign it to programs, and the content will be visible to both you and the programs it is assigned to.
- The personal statement is limited to 28,000 characters, which include letters, numbers, spaces, and punctuation marks.
- There is not a limit to how many personal statements applicants can create.
- Personal statements created outside the MyERAS application should be done in a plain text word processing application such as Notepad (for Windows users) or SimpleText (for Mac users). The statement should reflect your personal perspective and experiences accurately and must be your own work and not the work of another author or the product of artificial intelligence.
- Personal statements created in word processing applications not using plain text may contain hidden and invalid formatting.
- Note: A number of websites provide examples of personal statements. Do not copy any information from these sites and use it in your personal statements without giving credit to the author. Such use is considered plagiarism.
- The ERAS program will investigate any suspected acts of plagiarism.
- Any substantiated findings of plagiarism may result in the reporting of such findings to the programs to which you apply now and in subsequent ERAS seasons.
When creating a personal statement in the MyERAS application, the following formatting options will be available:
- Align left.
- Align right.
- Increase indent.
- Decrease indent.
- Insert hyperlink.
After entering the personal statement title and content, you will have the opportunity to preview your personal statement before saving it. This preview allows you to view your personal statement just as the programs will view it, including the number of pages.
You are responsible for reviewing your personal statements before assigning them to programs.
The Preview/Print option under the Actions column will allow you to view and/or print your personal statement.
Personal statements can be edited at any point during the application season — even when assigned to programs that have been applied to.
Personal statements that have been edited will be reflected on the programs’ side by an updated status containing the date of the updated version, but programs are not guaranteed to view or review updated versions of personal statements.
You may designate the assignment of one personal statement for each program.
- Personal statements can be assigned to any saved or applied to programs from the Personal Statements page by selecting “Assign” under the Actions column of the intended personal statement.
- When assigning by personal statement, programs listed with a disabled checkbox already have the selected personal statement currently assigned.
- When assigning by personal statement, you should review any personal statements that are listed under the Assigned Personal Statement column before making selections or changes.
- Personal statements can be assigned by program using the Assign option under the Actions column on both the Saved Programs and Programs Applied To pages.
- Changes to personal statement assignments can be made throughout the application season, but programs are not guaranteed to view or review newly assigned personal statements.
- A personal statement cannot be assigned to programs that are closed.