Resources to Help You on Your Socially Distant Premed Journey
We are already living in a tech-saturated world, but the COVID-19 pandemic has pushed society to continue to evolve and adapt to new ways of communicating through digital platforms. At the AAMC, all of our in-person interactions are now virtual, so providing printed materials is a challenge. We typically send a mailing to our prehealth advisors every year; however, while working remotely, we do not have access to any printed materials or mailing facilities. To overcome these obstacles, the AAMC is supporting all aspiring physicians and advisors by switching to digitally-focused channels. The new Premed Resources webpage is one of our most useful digital tools.
The Premed Resources collection includes various links throughout the AAMC’s students and residents hub for easy navigation, as well as print-friendly handouts of all items normally distributed at premed events. The page was designed to mirror the applying to medical school journey, making it more accessible to applicants and advisors looking for information to guide their advisees.
Explore each phase of the premed pathway and learn how you can be a strong medical school applicant:
- Discovering your passions: Choosing a Medical Career.
- Planning your future: Financing Your Medical Education.
- Applying your academic skills: The MCAT Exam.
- Getting started: Preparing for the Medical School Application Process.
- Demonstrating your “why”: Completing Your Journey to Medical School.
Below are some highlights from the Premed Resources webpage:
- For starters, the Premed Webinars page is the only centralized location for all AAMC premed webinars.
- Additionally, if you are working on a deadline and need information fast, check out the Popular Premed Resources downloadable “cheat sheet” with links to some of the AAMC’s most popular resources.
- Also, it is never too early to plan for your future finances. Read the Six Financial Tips for Premed Students card to learn how you can prepare for the cost of applying to and attending medical school.
- If you’d like a little inspiration, read our Inspiring Stories to learn from some of our medical students.
- The premed journey can be an overwhelming learning experience for new students, but if you want to know all of the details, the AAMC’s Getting Into Medical School brochure provides a comprehensive overview of the AAMC’s premed services, an explanation of the medical school application process, and beneficial worksheets.
- Lastly, given the social distancing guidelines stated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, medical schools have shifted to virtual interviewing using video technology. The AAMC has compiled a page of resources to help the medical community adjust to the new interviewing routine.
The AAMC is working diligently to deliver information through our digital platforms to ensure you are successful along your path to a career in medicine. The above resources are just a few of the many valuable materials the Premed Resources webpage has to offer. We are here for you during this difficult time and encourage you to continue pursuing your dream of becoming a physician.