The exam time for the AAMC is relatively short at just 75 minutes (1 hour, 15 minutes). The total seated time ranges between 90 and 105 minutes, which you can influence by ensuring your computer and workspace meet the required specifications before your exam start time. For more information on the test format, go to AAMC SJT Test Day. If you have a condition that requires a modification of or adjustment to the standard testing time, you must apply for accommodations on the AAMC SJT exam.
You will be taking the exam at a location of your choice (as long as the location meets our specifications for test security), therefore there are certain conditions and items for which you might need prior approval for other standardized exams but which are not applicable to the AAMC SJT exam. Since you are in control of certain aspects of your testing environment and equipment, you do not need to submit an AAMC SJT Application for Accommodations for the following:
- Separate testing room – you are required to select a room which will not be accessed by anyone other than you while your exam is underway.
- Noise reduction – you are required to select a room that is carefully controlled for noise and movement. Headphones of any type are not allowed in the room while you are testing. You may use earplugs with prior approval from the AAMC.
- Adjustable chair and workstation – you should provide these items if you require them.
- Wheelchair accessibility – you should select a room that is wheelchair accessible if needed.
- Adjustable lighting – you should select a room with adjustable lighting or provide your own lighting alternative as needed. Please note that your testing room must have sufficient light for the remote proctor to observe you through your computer’s camera.
- Trackball, touchpad, ergonomic keyboard, screen overlay – you are required to provide your own computer equipment and therefore should select equipment and related accessories that meet your individual needs. Please note that any equipment or accessories you provide must meet our technical and security specifications, and must allow the remote proctor to adequately observe you through your computer’s camera throughout your exam session. For example, if you are using a screen overlay, ensure you choose one that does not cover your computer’s webcam. The proctor may request you to display your equipment and accessories for visual inspection prior to the start of your exam.
In addition to the above conditions and equipment, you are permitted to bring certain items into the testing room without the need for prior approval. For a full list of items and related terms and conditions, please review our Items Not Requiring Prior Approval. Please note that the remote proctor will require you to display them for visual inspection before you begin your exam.
Accommodations Requiring Approval
The AAMC SJT exam is a standardized exam. All examinees must take the exam using the same online testing software and must meet the same technical and exam security requirements. If you have a disability or medical condition that requires a modification of or adjustment to the specified conditions, you must apply for accommodations on the SJT exam. Requests for these adjustments must be supported by documentation indicating normative impairment that impacts your ability to access the exam under standard conditions.
Commonly requested accommodations include:
- Extended time
- Screen Readers
- Enlarged Font
- Use of personal items
Please note that these examples are not exhaustive and do not represent all the accommodations that may be available for the exam.
You should submit a request for the accommodation(s) that you and your qualified professional believe is necessary for you to take the exam in an accessible manner. Keep in mind that the requested accommodations should clearly relate to the functional limitations you experience and be relevant to the demands of the AAMC SJT exam.