Career Paths for PhD Graduates
Biomedical scientists can use their knowledge of biomedical research in a wide variety of ways.
What can I be with a PhD?
Biomedical scientists may use their knowledge of biomedical research to:
- Direct a research lab and decide which scientific questions to investigate
- Be part of a team of scientists working together to solve problems of health and disease
- Manage and coordinate large scientific projects (across institutions and/or across the world)
- Teach others about biomedical science including how to do research and how to think about and understand scientific information
- Inform policy makers about scientific matters that impact health and science
- Communicate (by writing and speaking) and disseminate the latest information about scientific and medical discoveries
- Translate discoveries and inventions from the most fundamental level to every day usage
Where do biomedical scientists work?
- Large research universities
- Small liberal arts colleges
- Medical centers and medical schools
- Dental, veterinary and optometry schools
- Research institutes
- Community colleges
- High schools
- NIH - National Institutes of Health
- FDA - Food and Drug Administration
- CDCP - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- NSF - National Science Foundation
- EPA - Environmental Protection Agency
- NASA - National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- USDA - Department of Agriculture
- VA - Veterans' Administration
- DOD - Department of Defense
- US Congress
- Executive Branch of the Federal Government
- State and county health departments
- Newspapers and magazines
- Internet-based communications
- Broadcast media (television, radio, movies)
- Scientific journals and textbooks
- Judicial system - scientific evidence in trials
- Financial - advising regarding investments in biotechnology, drug and medical device development
- NAS/IOM - National Academies of Science/Institute of Medicine
- Scientific societies and associations
- Private foundations
General information about careers in biomedical science
- Find a job in science - searchable by location including international, field, keyword, etc.
- Includes jobs from across the United States including Biological Science, Business, Education, Engineering, Health & Medicine, Information Science, Law, Science
- Survival and success in the doctoral years and beyond
- Providing a national voice and seeking positive change for postdoctoral scholars
- Advice on finding the best postdoc for you
- Information for scientists and would-be scientists at all levels, from high school students through Nobel laureates.
Financing Your Graduate Education
Graduate schools in the biomedical sciences will generally provide a comprehensive funding package to their students.
Research Career Paths
Interested in becoming a physician scientist? There are numerous professional paths available.