Research Experience for Prospective PhD Candidates
It's important that you pursue research opportunities during the academic year and summers (which provide full-time experience) to immerse yourself in a laboratory/project and to show your commitment and motivation for research. The letters of recommendation from your research mentors are a very important part of your graduate school application.
Making the most of your summer experiences
- Participate in research summer programs throughout the undergraduate years. These can be at your home institution or at other institutions.
- Identify and apply to several summer programs. This will give you a preview of the application process for graduate school.
- Apply to summer programs that take place at schools where you may be interested in pursuing your graduate degree.
- Complete and submit the application materials during the prior winter/spring.
- Become fully immersed in the research projects that you work on.
- Talk with advanced students and faculty advisors about graduate school and their experiences.
- Take advantage of other skills-building activities that the summer program offers.