After You Have Received an Initial Determination
The AAMC staff is currently under mandatory telework, effective March 13 until further notice. Consequently, we will be unable to receive mailed-in documentation(s) submitted via mail at this time. Given the exceptional circumstances, extension, reconsideration, and appeal requests can only be accepted via email. If you wish to proceed with one of these options, you will need to submit your documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer here to ensure you’re including all of your required documentation in your email.
Depending on the outcome of your Initial Application, you may find the following guidelines for other application types useful:
An application that has been found to be incomplete does not provide sufficient information to allow for a full review of your request. This is not a denial. In these instances, we will await further information from you before proceeding with making a determination on your application. Once your application has been re-submitted for review with the requested information/documentation, the applicable review cycle will re-start. The review cycle for initial applications is up to 60 days and up to 30 days for all other application types.
- If your evaluation is deemed incomplete, we encourage you to share your determination letter with your evaluator or another qualified professional.
- Your re-submission should address all of the concerns outlined in your determination letter.
- Please upload additional information in MAO to complete your application.
- Review your application for completeness before submission. Should you or your evaluator have any questions about the review process, please contact us at .
Your approval letter specifies a period of eligibility for the approved accommodations. If you wish to take the MCAT exam with accommodations after this period of eligibility has expired, you will need to obtain an extension of your approval.
To request testing accommodations for future MCAT exams (beyond your current approval period), please follow the steps below:
- Complete the
Review previously submitted documentation. Obtain updated documentation to support your request, if necessary. *
Email the completed Extension application form (see attached) and any supporting documentation (if necessary) to the following email address: MCAT_Accoms_Docs@aamc.org
Wish to have your application re-reviewed?
You may have concerns about your determination and wish to have your application re-reviewed. Should you so choose, you have the option of requesting a Reconsideration.
Your Reconsideration should include new and substantial information, such as new test results or information from a new qualified professional. A letter of appeal written by you or your qualified professional is insufficient for a Reconsideration. The standard review cycle for a Reconsideration is up to 30 days.
To initiate a Reconsideration, please follow the steps below:
- Complete the
Collect all additional documentation to support your request. You may wish to consult your evaluator or qualified professional for assistance in identifying what documentation to submit in support of your Reconsideration request.
Submit the completed Reconsideration application form and your supporting documentation to the following email address: MCAT_Accoms_Docs@aamc.org
If your request for accommodations was partially approved or denied and you would like your application to be re-reviewed, but you do not have any additional or substantially different documentation to provide, you may request an Appeal. Please note that an Appeal may only be submitted once and determinations are final. Carefully consider whether a Reconsideration or an Appeal is the next best step. The standard review cycle for Appeals is up to 30 days.
To submit an Appeal, please follow the steps below:
- Complete the
Email the completed Appeal application form to the following email address: MCAT_Accoms_Docs@aamc.org
Once a determination has been made on your request, we will notify you via email. You can view your determination letter by logging into the MCAT Accommodations Online (MAO) system. Your determination letter will also outline any additional steps you may need to take.
Keep in mind:
- All application materials must be in English.
- Keep a copy of all documentation you are submitting with your request. The AAMC will not return your documentation or forward it to any third party.
- All documentation must be mailed-in together as one package. We will not accept any additional documentation once an application has been submitted.
- Due to privacy reasons, application materials will not be accepted over email or fax.
- Determinations cannot be changed over the phone or by email. Requests must be formally submitted through one of the available application processes outlined above.
- We cannot discuss your application with any third party (including parents) without an from you.
- If necessary, your application may be forwarded for further review to an external reviewer with expertise in the area of your impairment at the discretion of the Director of Accommodations Review. Your documentation will be kept strictly confidential.