After the initial submission of your application, you may only make changes to the following information:
- Your ID numbers.
- Your name, including full legal name, preferred name, and alternate names.
- Your contact Information, including your permanent address, preferred mailing address, and email address.
- Your alternate contact information.
- Your date of birth and gender.
- Letters of evaluation (although please note that you can only make additions of up to 10 letters, and you must notify the AMCAS program if you have a letter you wish to no longer be sent to medical schools; you cannot delete letters of evaluation from your application).
- Your next MCAT® and PREview® exam testing date.
- The addition of medical schools and the altering of existing program types (deadlines, restrictions and an additional fee may apply).
- The release of your application information to your prehealth advisor.
You must re-certify and officially update your application after making a change. This will not cause any processing delays, and you will not be charged unless you have added more medical school designations.
Academic Change Requests
To address changes made by the AMCAS program to your Coursework section during the Verification process, you must submit an Academic Change Request (ACR).
The AMCAS program requires that you review verified coursework and GPA information. If you find discrepancies, or you disagree with changes made during the verification process, you must submit an Academic Change Request to be reviewed by the AMCAS program. Upon review, the request will be granted or denied. The Academic Change Request option is available on the right side of the Main Menu. This option becomes available only after your application has completed the Verification process.
Please allow at least five (5) business days for the AMCAS program to review and/or process the Academic Change Request. When an Academic Change Request is granted, the AMCAS program will update the medical schools you have applied to with the amended information immediately. This will not impact application deadlines.
To submit an Academic Change Request, select one of the following reasons:
- Re-compute the following GPA/hours
- Re-verify the following courses
- Add the following courses
- Delete courses that were added by AMCAS Verifications Team (based on errors or omissions compared to applicant official college transcripts)
- Update the following school information
In the accompanying ACR text block, enter explicit details about your request and explain why you are requesting this change to your AMCAS application. Additional documentation may be required.
Multiple requests may be entered in the text block.
AMCAS will only evaluate the following items in an Academic Change Request:
Course Classification - If you disagree with a change the AMCAS program made during the verification process to a course classification, you must submit an Academic Change Request to initiate a reevaluation. Please copy and paste either the course description directly from your school's website or the URL where it can be found so that the primary content of the course can be verified.
Credit Hours Attempted
Degree Date and/ or Degree Type
Incorrect School Name
Major and Minor- When requesting a change, the AMCAS program cannot specify a major and minor type as the applicant should before submitting an application. The AMCAS program will change the selection to the most compatible Major and Minor.
Official Transcript Grade
Omitted Coursework, this does not include CC/Future coursework
Semester or Supplemental Hours
Add a school and the associated coursework, if you failed to report the school on the AMCAS application at the time of submission. However, you are required to submit the transcript from the institution that was not included when submitting the application. The official transcript must be received prior to submitting the Academic Change Request. If the transcript is not received by the AMCAS program prior to submitting the Academic Change Request, it will be denied.
Update the grade in your application, if the school made an error when reporting a grade. However, you must have the school submit an updated transcript reflecting the changed grade and the transcript must be accompanied by a letter from the registrar's office explaining the reason for the change. If the letter is not included with the updated transcript, the Academic Change Request will be denied.
AMCAS will not change or correct:
- Course names, titles, or numbers.
- Updated grades and hours for certain types of courses that were left off the application and did not appear on any official transcript at the time of processing, including:
- Current (CC)
- Deferred Grade (DG)
- Honors (H) (The AMCAS program does not add the Honors type if omitted by the applicant.)
- Incomplete (I)
- Any other sections or items in your application.
*AMCAS Academic Change Request policies are subject to change each application year.
Legal Residence Changes
After submitting your AMCAS application, you may request to change your state of legal residence. A request to update the state of legal residence must be sent from your primary email listed on your application.
The email must be sent to AMCASExceptions@aamc.org and include the following information:
- Applicant Name
- Applicant AAMC ID
- State and county of legal residence currently listed in the application
- State and county of legal residence that the applicant would like it changed to
- AMCAS Application year for which you are requesting the change
The AMCAS program will only update the county of residence when the state of legal residence is also changed. The county of legal residence will not be updated for any other reason.
Medical schools that request this type of change on behalf of an applicant will be asked to have the applicant follow the procedure outlined in the AMCAS Applicant Guide to have the requested change processed by the AMCAS program.
Addition of Medical Schools
You may add medical school choices or designations to your submitted application. Medical school additions or program changes can be made at any time, as long as the deadline for the school you wish to add has not passed. A fee will apply for medical school additions.
Fees may vary each application cycle. For the 2024 AMCAS application cycle, it is $175, which includes one medical school designation, and $45 for each additional medical school.
You must re-certify, officially update your application, and pay any additional fees for added designations by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the deadline day. Re-certifying and officially updating your application will not cause any processing delays.