The AAMC SJT exam is an opportunity to showcase your pre-professionalism knowledge and potential to develop into a well-rounded doctor. The AAMC is providing multiple free resources to help you prepare for the AAMC SJT exam. We recommend that you take advantage of the advice, strategies, and preparation resources as you prepare to complete the AAMC SJT exam.
Preparation Steps and Resources
There are several steps you can take and resources available to help you prepare for the AAMC SJT exam:
- Review the following preparation materials:
- The AAMC SJT Sample includes sample questions to familiarize you with the structure of exam questions.
- The 2021 AAMC SJT: Examinee Preparation Guide offers advice and strategies to help you prepare for the AAMC SJT exam.
- The 2021 AAMC SJT Practice Exam Booklet includes an official practice exam, scoring key, and scoring key rationales to help you become familiar with the exam format, types of scenarios and items you’ll see on the actual AAMC SJT, and the process for evaluating and rating items. The practice exam booklet has been expanded to include a full-length practice exam and scoring key rationales for all items.
- Review the eight pre-professional competencies and definitions measured by the AAMC SJT exam, as each scenario you encounter will address one or more of these competencies.
- Familiarize yourself with the official policies and procedures on the AAMC SJT: Essentials and what to expect on test day.
- Log in prior to test day to walk through a tutorial demonstrating the features and functions of the online testing system:
- After logging in, verify your information is correct and select the “I confirm the above name matches my government issued identification that I will present on test day” box. Click the “Save/Update” button
- Click the “Schedule Now” button
- Under “Available Exams,” click the “Write exam” button on the Platform Tutorial row
- You may take the tutorial as often as you wish until you begin your exam
- Check out the informational webinar(s) to become more familiar with the AAMC SJT exam, including how to register, how to prepare, what to expect on test day, and how participating medical schools are incorporating the AAMC SJT into their admissions processes (see the “Preparation Webinars” section).
- Come to the test rested and focused so you can put your best foot forward.
Recordings from Preparation Webinars
On March 23, AAMC presenters discussed details for the AAMC SJT’s second operational year with the prehealth advisors community, including test administration policies and procedures, test preparation materials, and plans for score release. The AAMC Situational Judgment Test is an assessment designed to evaluate knowledge of pre-professional behaviors that are required for success in medical school and practice. Admissions officers may use AAMC SJT scores, along with other admissions data, in pre-interview screening. This year, approximately 20,000 applicants will take the exam to apply to five participating schools: Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine, Morehouse School of Medicine, University of California Davis School of Medicine, the University of Minnesota Medical School Twin Cities, and the University of Alabama-Birmingham School of Medicine.
During this webinar the AAMC provided an overview of the exam and the 2021 administration year. Representatives from three of the five participating medical schools – Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine, University of California Davis School of Medicine, and the University of Minnesota Medical School Twin Cities – discussed the value of the SJT to their admissions process and answered student questions about the exam as a part of the admissions process for the 2022 application cycle.
During this webinar the AAMC provided an overview of the exam and the 2021 administration year. Representatives from two of the five participating medical schools –Morehouse School of Medicine and University of Alabama-Birmingham School of Medicine – discussed the value of the SJT to their admissions process and answered student questions about the exam as a part of the admissions process for the 2022 application cycle.
Through this live engagement, AAMC presenters will described test administration policies and procedures, test preparation materials, what to expect on test day, and plans for score release. Presenters also answered questions from the audience.