The AAMC PREview exam is an opportunity to showcase your potential to develop into a well-rounded doctor. Below is free advice, strategies, and preparation resources to help you prepare to complete the AAMC PREview exam.
There are several steps you can take and resources available to help you prepare for the AAMC PREview exam:
- The AAMC PREview Sample includes sample questions to familiarize you with the structure of exam questions.
- The AAMC PREview Examinee Preparation Guide offers advice and strategies to help you prepare for the AAMC PREview exam.
- The AAMC PREview Practice Exam Booklet includes an official practice exam, scoring key, and scoring key rationales to help you become familiar with the exam format, types of scenarios and items you’ll see on the actual AAMC PREview, and the process for evaluating and rating items. The practice exam booklet has been expanded to include a full-length practice exam and scoring key rationales for all items.
- The PREview Test Day Experience Video is designed to help you become familiar with the activities that will take place when logging into and taking the AAMC PREview exam. It can be helpful for an examinee who is not familiar with our vendor, ProctorU, and it may be especially helpful for students who have not previously taken a remote-proctored, online exam. Here we will highlight the check-in process and the key functions and features of the exam platform, as well as submission and check-out.
- Review the eight pre-professional competencies and definitions measured by the AAMC PREview exam, as each scenario you encounter will address one or more of these competencies.
- Familiarize yourself with the official policies and procedures on the AAMC PREview Essentials and what to expect on test day.
- Log in prior to test day to walk through a tutorial demonstrating the features and functions of the online testing system:
- After logging in, verify your information is correct and select the “I confirm the above name matches my government issued identification that I will present on test day” box. Click the “Save/Update” button
- Click the “Schedule Now” button
- Under “Available Exams,” click the “Write exam” button on the Platform Tutorial row
- You may take the tutorial as often as you wish until you begin your exam
- Check out the informational webinar(s) to become more familiar with the AAMC PREview exam, including how to register, how to prepare, what to expect on test day, and how participating medical schools are incorporating the AAMC PREview into their admissions processes (see the “Preparation Webinars” section).
- Come to the test rested and focused so you can put your best foot forward.
The popular podcast, All Access, provides listeners a unique view into the medical school admissions world through a series of interviews with key admissions figures from around the country. The host, Christian Essman of Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, was kind enough to invite the PREview team to talk about the exam and answer a lot of questions from a test taker’s perspective. The conversation was a lot of fun and is a wonderful way for PREview test takers to learn about the exam. Listen to the PREview team on the All Access podcast!
During the 2022-2023 application cycle, 18 medical schools participated in the AAMC PREview™ professional readiness exam. Participating schools either recommended or required applicants to complete the PREview exam as part of the admissions process. The PREview exam is designed to look beyond academic metrics to assess and evaluate personal competencies such as resilience, service orientation, ethics, cultural competence, and teamwork. When combined with other parts of the admissions process, the PREview exam provides a more complete picture of applicants and helps schools identify applicants who demonstrate these core competencies.
PREview™ Nuts-n-Bolts: Scheduling and Taking the AAMC PREview™ Professional Readiness Exam - Feb. 28
In this interactive webinar, the AAMC PREview team provided students with information about scheduling a testing session, accessing the practice exam and other preparation materials, preparing the workstation, taking the exam, and sharing scores with schools requiring or recommending the exam. Access the recording now!
AAMC PREview™ Exam: An Overview and Q&A with Medical Schools - May 4
In this interactive webinar, participating medical schools shared expectations for the PREview exam, the benefits of including a PREview score with your medical school application, and what to expect in the coming months as you register and prepare to test. Attendees had the opportunity to participate in a Q&A with the AAMC PREview team and admissions representatives from participating medical schools. A recording of this webinar is now available. Access the recording now!