Preparing Your Curriculum Vitae
Maintaining effective documentation of your academic history and achievements is critical to success in academic medicine. The following tools and techniques offered by the Group on Faculty Affairs can help you prepare a portfolio that highlights your unique qualifications:
- Create My CV is a template to craft your CV.
- Tips and Strategies on how to make the best impression;
- Teaching Portfolio explains what should be included when showcasing your teaching efforts; and
- Biographical Sketches, Statements, and Executive Summaries includes information about your biographical statement and links to the NIH Biosketch form and examples. It also addresses the "Executive Summary," a powerful tool to highlight your qualifications in ways that one's CV often does not.
Key points to keep in mind
Follow your institution's guidelines for your internal CV, the CV you submit with promotion and tenure materials.
- Be proactive in creating your external CVs, biographical statements, and executive summary;
- Create a teaching portfolio; and
- Develop a system that works for you to facilitate updating your package.