Finding the Details of Your Loans in NSLDS
What is NSLDS?
Theis the U.S. Department of Education’s online database for federal student loan borrowers. NSLDS receives data from schools, loan guarantee agencies, the Direct Loan program and other Department of Education programs. This web-based resource allows you to be an educated borrower by providing constant access to the details of your loans.
- Go to
- Select ‘Financial Aid Review’
- Review and Accept the ‘Privacy Statement’
- From the NSLDS login page, enter your FSA ID username and password
What Will You See in NSLDS?
In your account, you will see your name, enrollment status and the effective date of your status.
You will also see a list of the federal loans* you have borrowed, detailing the name of each loan, the disbursed amounts, the dates of disbursement, and the last known balance.
For additional details about each loan, click on the loan’s number (listed in order of newest to oldest). Here you will find additional information about the loan – including the name and contact information for the loan’s servicer.
Since loans can have different servicers, it’s important to identify the servicer for each loan.
Details You Should Know
There is a lot of information about your federal student loans within NSLDS, but prior to graduation, there will be four pieces of information that will be critical to know as you prepare to manage your debt:
- Loan Type (name)
- Loan Servicer
- Disbursement Dates
- Loan Balances
These details are the first steps to determining theyou are eligible for, finding out your total loan balance, knowing when the first payment is due, and where to send your payment.
What Won’t You See in NSLDS?
- Details on Private or Institution Loans. NSLDS is for federal loans only. To find the details of other loans you’ll want to review your , or reach out to the lender of the loan, or your school’s financial aid office.
- Loans for Disadvantages Students (LDS) and Primary Care Loans (PCL) are the only federal loans that are not included in NSLDS – contact the financial aid office for more information and details about these loans.
- Real-Time Account Balances are not available. The Outstanding Principal Balance (OPB) of each loan will be listed, but this is not the most recent data.To determine the current balance owed on a loan contact the servicer.
For Additional Assistance
Review the NSLDS
Call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID
*with the exception of PCL and LDS loans
Financial Information, Resources, Services, and Tools (FIRST)
MedLoans® Organizer and Calculator (MLOC)
655 K Street, NW, Suite 100
Washington, DC 20001-2399