Here are five things to know about the 2023 AAMC Fee Assistance Program:
#1: Fee Assistance Program recipients receive several free and discounted benefits.
If you are approved for fee assistance during the 2023 calendar year, you will receive the following:
- MCAT® Official Prep Online-Only Bundle ($268.80 value).
- Reduced MCAT exam registration fee of $135 (usually $330).
- Complimentary two-year subscription to the Medical School Admission RequirementsTM (MSAR®) online database. ($36 value).
- Waiver for all American Medical College Application Service® (AMCAS®) fees for one application submission, covering up to 20 medical school submissions ($987 value).
- Waiver for AAMC PREviewTM professional readiness exam registration fees ($100 value).
- And more! Read the complete list of benefits.
#2: The Fee Assistance Program is open to everyone with a U.S. address.
You no longer need to show proof of U.S. citizenship or qualifying visa status. Applicants are only required to show proof of a U.S.-based home address. Please note the following requirements for the submission of documentation for proof of address:
- Applicant’s full name.
- Applicant’s current U.S. address.
- All identification (such as an ID) must be current and not expired.
- All documentation must be issued within the last 60 days of the date you submit your application.
#3: Parental financial information is NOT required for applicants age 26 and over.
We have removed the requirement for parental financial information for applicants age 26 and over on the day the application is submitted. Eligibility depends on income and poverty guidelines.
In 2023, you are eligible for fee assistance if each household reported on your application (yours and your parents, if applicable) has a 2022 total family income that is equal to or less than 400% of the 2022 national poverty level for your family size. Please refer to the Fee Assistance Program poverty guidelines for more information.
#4: Benefits are not retroactive.
If you are awarded fee assistance, you cannot apply your benefits to previous registrations or purchases. For example, if you register for the MCAT exam, PREview exam, or purchase MCAT prep products before receiving your fee assistance benefits, you will not be reimbursed for the discounted rate. Similarly, you will not be able to use your awarded medical school designations if your AMCAS application was submitted before your Fee Assistance Program application was approved.
#5: Some medical schools waive secondary application fees for fee assistance recipients.
Schools include this information in their MSAR profiles. Fee assistance recipients may be eligible to receive other benefits during their medical school application process. Learn more about these additional benefits and tips for completing your Fee Assistance Program application from current medical students here: “How the Fee Assistance Program Supported My Premed Journey.”
The 2023 AAMC Fee Assistance Program application opens on February 6. Before beginning your application program, be sure to visit our webpage and read the Fee Assistance Program Essentials.