The AAMC Fee Assistance Program assists those who, without financial assistance, would be unable to take the MCAT® exam, apply to medical schools using the AMCAS®program, and more. Here are five things to know about the new 2022 AAMC Fee Assistance Program:
Fact #1: Fee Assistance Program recipients get free and discounted items.
If you are approved for fee assistance during the 2022 calendar year, you will receive the following:
- MCAT Official Prep Online-Only Bundle (a $268.80 value).
- Reduced MCAT exam registration fee of $130 (usually $320).
- Complimentary access to the Medical School Admission Requirements™ (MSAR®) website until Dec. 31, 2022 (a $36 value).
- Waiver for all AMCAS fees for one application submission, covering up to 20 medical school submissions, submitted by Dec. 31, 2023 (a $949 value).
- And more! Read the complete list of benefits.
Fact #2: The Fee Assistance Program is open to everyone with a permanent U.S. address.
We have removed the U.S. citizenship and certain visa status eligibility requirements and will instead require a U.S. address. Applicants will be required to provide proof of permanent U.S. address. Please note the following requirements for the submission of documentation or identification:
- Applicant’s full name must be included.
- Applicant’s current U.S. address must be included.
- All identification must be current and not expired.
- All documentation must be issued within the last 60 days of the date you submit your application.
Fact #3: Parental financial information is NOT required for applicants over age 26.
We have removed the requirement for parental financial information for applicants who are over the age of 26 on the day the application is submitted. Eligibility depends on income and poverty guidelines.
In 2022, you are eligible for fee assistance if each household reported on your application (yours and your parents, if applicable) has a 2021 total family income that is equal to or less than 400% of the 2021 national poverty level for your family size. Please refer to the AAMC website for the specific Fee Assistance Program poverty guidelines.
Fact #4: Benefits are not retroactive.
If you are awarded fee assistance, you cannot apply your benefits to previous registrations or purchases. For example, if you register for the MCAT exam or purchase a prep product before receiving your fee assistance, you will not be reimbursed for the discounted rate. Similarly, you will not be able to use your awarded medical school designations if your AMCAS application was submitted before your Fee Assistance Program application was approved.
Fact #5: Some medical schools waive secondary application fees for fee assistance recipients.
Schools include this information in their MSAR profiles. Fee assistance recipients have also received other benefits during their medical school application process. Learn more about these additional benefits and tips for completing your Fee Assistance Program application from current medical students.
The 2022 AAMC Fee Assistance Program application opens at the end of January, so before beginning your application, be sure to read the Fee Assistance Program Essentials!