The cost of preparing for, and applying to medical school can be daunting. At the AAMC we believe that this cost should not be a barrier on your path to medical school. The AAMC’s Fee Assistance Program is designed to assist those who, without financial assistance, would be unable to afford to register for the MCAT® exam or apply to medical schools that use the AMCAS® application.
Interested? Be sure to review details of the eligibility requirements, the 2019 Fee Assistance Program Essentials, and the Fee Assistance Program website, but here’s a quick overview of the program:
What to know about the 2019 Fee Assistance Program:
- You will be able to use your fee assistance award for up to two years.
A two-year benefit period gives you more flexibility with how you use your award. For example, you could make use of the MCAT benefits the first year, and apply to medical school through AMCAS during the second year, without having to reapply for fee assistance. Benefits will expire on December 31, the year after they are awarded.
- You must provide financial information for all living parents.
Parental information is viewed independently from applicant data, but must also fall within eligibility guidelines.
The Fee Assistance Program benefits are subject to change. If you are approved for fee assistance during the 2019 calendar year, you will receive the following:
MCAT Official Prep Products Benefit
- The MCAT Official Prep products benefit package is subject to change. The current MCAT Official Prep products benefit is the MCAT Official Prep Online-Only Bundle ($268.80 value), which includes all online MCAT Official Prep products.
You will receive the MCAT Official Prep products benefit once in a lifetime, regardless of how many times you are a Fee Assistance Program awardee. We will provide more details about this benefit if you are awarded Fee Assistance.
- Reduced registration fee, from $320 to $130, for MCAT exams.
- Up to $800 benefit towards an updated psycho-educational or medical evaluation if it is required to support your MCAT accommodations application. Approval of benefit is subject to review by MCAT Accommodation Services.
Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) Benefits
- Complimentary access to the Medical School Admission Requirements website until December 31, 2020 ($54 value).
- Waiver for all AMCAS fees for one (1) application submission with up to 20 medical school designations ($930 value), submitted by December 31, 2020.
Additional fees will be charged for each medical school designation beyond the initial set of 20.
How long can I use these benefits?
You will be able to use your Fee Assistance Program award benefits for up to two calendar years. Benefits will expire on December 31, the year after they are awarded regardless of when in the year you apply for, and receive, the award. For example:
|If your application is approved:||Your benefits expire:|
|Jan. 1 - Dec. 31, 2018||December 31, 2019|
|Jan. 1 - Dec. 31, 2019||December 31, 2020|
|Jan. 1 - Dec. 31, 2020||December 31, 2021|
You may only apply once per calendar year. Each award includes MCAT, Medical School Admission Requirements website, and AMCAS benefits. If you apply and receive fee assistance during two consecutive calendar years, unused benefits from your first award will expire as soon as your new award is approved.
Fee Assistance Program benefits are not retroactive. You should not submit MCAT registration materials or an AMCAS application until your fee assistance request has completed processing and has either been approved or denied. If you do submit an MCAT registration, AMCAS application, or other such materials with the full service fees, you will not be issued a refund of those fees if your Fee Assistance Program application is later approved. The AAMC is not responsible for any MCAT registration deadlines or AMCAS application deadline you miss while waiting for the review of your Fee Assistance Program application.
No refunds will be issued if you make an MCAT Official Prep products purchase before you have been approved for the Fee Assistance Program. All sales are final for all MCAT Official Prep products.
Canadian MCAT examinees interested in the Canadian Fee Assistance Program - Learn more about eligibility criteria and application process and deadlines by visiting AFMC’s website. (English website).
More information about the Fee Assistance Program.