Tips for Medical Students While Abroad
As a medical student participating in an elective at a host institution abroad, it is important to be prepared and organized. Once you arrive in your host country, be sure to check with your host institution to determine whether there are additional requirements and steps that may be required.
When You Arrive
- Report directly to your host institution.
- Provide any additional documentation and complete any requirements needed by your host institution.
- Let your host institution know your local mailing address.
- Register with your local embassy or consulate in case of emergency.
- Keep a journal for reflection.
Health and Safety
To prevent health-related and safety issues, you must before and during your time abroad.
- translation app
- social learning app for med students
Use the VSLO Student Essentials guide to help you access the application service, complete your profile, search for and save electives, and begin the application process.
Browse our catalog of away electives at participating host institutions by location, keywords, specialty, and more.
Find a complete listing of participating host institutions.
Find a complete listing of all participating home institutions.
Have questions about VSLO? Check out these frequently asked about topics.
The VSAS application service makes it easier for medical students to apply for clinical or research opportunities.