Register for the SVI
Who Should Take the SVI?
The emergency medicine program community has endorsed the use of the Standardized Video Interview for all applicants to Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)–accredited emergency medicine residency programs during the Electronic Residency Application Service® (ERAS®) 2019 application cycle.
All ERAS applicants—U.S. MD, DO, and international medical graduates—applying to ACGME-accredited emergency medicine programs are required to complete the Standardized Video Interview as a component of their ERAS 2019 application.
Note that completion of the Standardized Video Interview is not a required field in your ERAS application; therefore, you will not be barred from applying for a residency position in emergency medicine if you do not complete the video interview.
If you are undecided on a specialty but are considering emergency medicine, you are strongly encouraged to register for the video interview and complete it before the deadline.
There are no registration fees for the Standardized Video Interview for the ERAS 2019 season.
The Standardized Video Interview will be open from early June 2018 through July 15, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. ET (the Interview Window). Responses to all six questions of the interview must be recorded and uploaded in the system by applicants no later than July 15, 2018, at 11:59 p.m
- Obtain your ERAS token from your dean's office (or the ECFMG, for international applicants).
- Log into the ERAS system.
- Verify that your email address is correct in the "Personal Information" tab under the "Application" section of the MyERAS application. Interview invitations and score reports will be communicated to you via the email address you provide.
- Navigate to the MyERAS dashboard. There is a question near the bottom of the screen: "Are you planning to apply for a residency position at an ACGME-accredited emergency medicine program?" If you are planning to apply—or even considering applying—in emergency medicine, then you should click “Yes.”
Within 24 hours of responding to the question on the MyERAS dashboard, you will receive an email invitation to complete the Standardized Video Interview. The email will be sent to the email account registered with your MyERAS application and will include:
- a unique interview code
- a link to the Standardized Video Interview platform
Applicants who do not complete the interview by July 15, 2018, and who were not granted an extension, will not be permitted to take the SVI. You will not be barred from applying for a residency position in emergency medicine if you do not complete the Standardized Video Interview. However, the emergency medicine residency programs to which you apply will be aware that you did not complete the interview and may consider your application incomplete.