The AAMC Video Interview Tool for Admissions (AAMC VITA™) is a one-time, one-way video (recorded) interview designed to help medical schools assess applicants’ pre-professional competencies important for success in medical school. We expect that the AAMC VITA interview will take 35-40 minutes to complete. It consists of six questions. You may complete all six questions in one sitting, or you may complete any number of questions you choose, as long as all questions are completed by the required medical school deadline. The break between questions may be as long as you choose.
AAMC Video Interview Tool for Admissions Timeframe
|Introductory Video (optional)||3 minutes|
|Practice Attempt(s) (optional)||Unlimited|
|Question 1||1 minute to read | 3 minutes to respond|
|Question 2||1 minute to read | 3 minutes to respond|
|Question 3||1 minute to read | 3 minutes to respond|
|Question 4||1 minute to read | 3 minutes to respond|
|Question 5||1 minute to read | 3 minutes to respond|
|Question 6||1 minute to read | 3 minutes to respond|
|Post-Interview Survey (optional)||10 minutes|
|Total Content Time||24 minutes|
|Total Seated Time||Approximately 35-40 minutes|
Step-by-Step Guide to Taking the AAMC VITA Interview
Know what to expect when you take the AAMC VITA Interview
- Find a private, quiet, and well-lit space where you can complete the interview by yourself and where you are free of potential distractions. Other individuals are prohibited from being in the room with you during your interview. However, the AAMC recognizes that you may not be in full control of your interview conditions and an interference may occur, such as a dog barking or child crying in the background. Refer to the AAMC Video Interview Tool for Admissions Applicant Preparation Guide for more information.
- When you are ready to complete the AAMC VITA interview, access the interview platform using the link in your personalized email invitation from HireVue. Once in the interview platform:
- The system will automatically conduct a technology check to confirm your equipment is working properly.
- Check your audio and video by selecting “Practice,” to read and respond to sample questions in the interview platform (optional). Watch your responses to the sample questions to ensure you are satisfied with your camera position and audio quality.
- When you are ready to begin the official video interview, select “Start Now.” Once you receive the first question, you will have up to one minute to read and reflect on the question and up to three minutes to record your response.
- Your AAMC VITA responses are not stored until you select the button on the screen that indicates you are finished. Depending on your device’s operating system, this button may say “Done answering,” “Finish,” or look like a stop sign or similar icon.
- The interview platform sends an automated acknowledgment email stating “Interview Complete” shortly after your videos are uploaded to the system. If you do not receive this confirmation email within 24 hours of completion, please contact askVITA@aamc.org.